Friday, September 23, 2011

How to avoid montana car registration taxes on spouses car for military?

In Montana military are exempt, period. We don't pay taxes on car registration, it costs less than 10 dollars to register you car. I just got out of the military but my husband is still in. We want to know what we need to show our bring since the phones are not being answered down there and it is a long drive to just ask a question. He is not on my title, do I need to put him on my title? Can two people be on a title?
How to avoid montana car registration taxes on spouses car for military?
It costs less than ten dollars to register your car? If you are talking license plate cost only, then that's probably true (unless you get he fund raiser ones) Otherwise, you'll pay way more than that as a civilian.



Yes, he has to be on the title and yes you can have the names of two people on the title. It will take at least a couple of weeks to get the title back from Deer Lodge. However, we tried to do that (when my husband was still active duty) and the assessor looked at my husband like he was on crack and said %26quot;nice try%26quot; and charged us the regular rate for the second car. If it had been in his name only, we probably could have gotten away with it.
How to avoid montana car registration taxes on spouses car for military?
Two people can be on the same title, and yes since you are married to him, and he is still in, you don't need to pay taxes. but he needs to be on your title. I am military myself and am doing it in Vegas, since I am a California resident!
Doesn't Montana DMV have a website?

No comments:

Post a Comment